Deeply connect with yourself and immerse in the healing power of nature through forest bathing, meditation and a nap in a hammock in the forest of the ancient capital of Japan, Kyoto. Then, travel and stay at a Japanese experiential farm house in the middle of nowhere in Nara, learning organic plant-based cooking. Program includes 2-night accommodation, meals and experiences, as listed.
- Those who would like to disconnect from a busy world and reconnect with themselves
- Those who would like to experience the Japanese art of Zen and being profoundly present
- Those who would like to explore the nature of Kyoto and Nara, Japan
- Those who would like to try and learn to prepare a clean and mainly plant-based diet to detoxify
- Those who would like to gain improved sleep, focus, health and combat stress
What we’ll do
This is an extended version of our Half Day Forest Bathing Explorer in Kyoto.
Day 1: In Kyoto
The program starts with a welcome dinner on your arrival day to give everybody the chance to get to know each other before embarking on the adventure together. The first night will be at a Minshuku (民宿) or a family run, Japanese-style bed and breakfasts, with a western style common area for comfort. The evening is at leisure.
Day 2: Morning in Kyoto and afternoon in Nara
Plant-based breakfast is served at the guest house and shortly after we will head to a trail nearby to enjoy Shinrin Yoku or Forest Bathing. This follows the itinerary of Half Day Forest Bathing Explorer in Kyoto. Enjoy packed lunch in the forest, mindfully and quietly. If timing allows, we will enjoy Japanese Monk’s Drink 飲精進 or inShojin
We then will depart for Nara Prefecture, ancient capital of Japan from 710 to 794 famous for its Deer Park, on a train which will take approximately 1.5 hours. The place we will be staying on the second night is Chie’s Experiential Farm Stay, located in a quiet area south of Nara City. Here we will get an opportunity to really enjoy the Japanese countryside and interactive cooking with all guests and hosts, using Chie’s fresh organic vegetables picked from her farm located on property. The evening will be spent at leisure to reflect on your day or read books. Using of mobile devices is discouraged, so here is really the chance to do a digital detox, reconnect with nature and foster human relationship.
Day 3: Morning in Nara
Get up and go for a morning walk to explore the area surrounding the farm house. We will then come back to the farm to have breakfast together. Traditional Japanese tea ceremony, one of the important aspects of Japanese culture, is part of the program today.
Zen monks used tea as means of staying awake during meditation. Each step from boiling the water, mixing the water with tea, enjoying the looks of the tea and drinking the tea itself is a meditative experience.
What else you should know
The tour includes some hike in the forest and basic-moderate level of fitness is required. Since some activities are outdoor, they are weather permitting and will be changed as required.
The groups are small, often an international mix of nature lovers, practitioners, and, at times, writers and bloggers. It’s a source of great pride that many of our guests come back again and again. Photos will be taken during the program and used for our website. By signing up, you give us the permission to use the photos you appear on.
Whole-foods, plant-based meals are served throughout the stay. Our meals suit all kinds of diets from vegan, vegetarian or non-vegetarian. If you wish to have a meat-based diet, you may make the arrangement in advance, at your own expense.
Traditional Japanese style accommodation with futons or Japanese mattresses is part of the program to give guests an authentic Japanese experience. Some of the accommodations on our itinerary come with a shared bathroom, which is common in Japan.
Zen mindfulness is a path that must be studied, practiced, and actualized.The Zen Studies Society
What I’ll provide
- Two-night accommodation in Kyoto and Nara at designated guesthouses
- Welcome dinner on the arrival day at the place we stay or otherwise specified
- Breakfast at the place we stay or otherwise specified
- Forest Bathing experience, weather permitting
- Tarp and/or hammock
- 10 minutes of Reiki OR Foot reflexology, head back neck & shoulder massage, during Forest Bathing in Kyoto
- Picnic lunch in the forest (may be replaced with a set lunch in a Japanese restaurant, depending on the schedule)
- Transportation from Kyoto to Nara by train, and then by a private transportation to the farm house
- Organic whole-foods plant-based dinner at the farm house (interactive cooking is required)
- Morning walk to Shoryakuji Temple nearby the farm house
- Organic whole-foods plant-based breakfast at the farm house (interactive cooking is required)
- 1.5 – 2 hours traditional Japanese tea ceremony with meditation
- Transportation from the farm house back to Kyoto station on the departure date by train
We try our best to secure these accommodations below, however, this is subject to seasonal availability and demand. In case of changes, we will provide a similar accommodation.
In Nara: Chie’s Organic Farm House
Optional (fee applies and could be added during the tour)
- 60-minute Reiki session
- 60-minute Thai massage
- 60-minute one-on-one life coaching session with a certified Life Coach, Milena Guziak (maybe done on site or online after the tour ends)
Price does not include
- Airfare or any travel or medical insurance
- Transportation outside of what is specified above
- Meals or drinks outside of what is specified above
- Alcoholic beverage
Note on Food and Drink
The menus offered during the tour are carefully selected by The Mindful Tourist with the help of our local partners. They are vegan meals and there are non-vegan options at some of the places we go to. Guests may order outside of these menus at their own expense. Alcoholic beverage is not included.
What to bring
- Open mind and fun spirit
- Trainers or hiking shoes
- Comfortable clothes suitable for the weather and meditation
- Drinking water bottle for the hike
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Rain jacket or umbrella, if required